Last Conference Presentation
I was invited to present at a state conference in Midway. Presenting and conducting workshops is one of my favorites, and I'm usually pretty good at it, too. However, lately I've been off my game. (Can't imagine why... ) Fortunately, I was spot-on for this last presentation. It felt good to go out on top.
Last Work Related Travel
As an elementary teacher, business travel is a rare occasion. During the 11 years I worked in education before moving to the district office, I only traveled twice: once to Provo and once to SLC.
In the past four years, I've traveled ten times and coast to coast. I've learned much and have been grateful for new opportunities and experiences (not too mention the nicety of having tabs for nice hotels paid by another party).
Last Day in My Quiet Office
Years ago while working as a florist, I had a sudden realization I would never work in a "nice," decorated office that was peaceful and quiet. Oddly, it was a defining moment, one I remember clearly-- Exactly where I was standing, what I saw, what I felt, etc. That moment of second-sight has proved true. The closest I've come to a peaceful, professional office is the one I've inhabited for the past two years. I'll miss it.
Last Day of My Mentor Specialist Job
Working as an MTS provided much professional growth and was a blessing in my life. At first, the learning curve was vertical and I had to give myself many a pep talk. It tapered, but I continued to learn the big-picture of education and hone many skills throughout my four year tenure. Though I won't miss it much (I'm ready to move on), I'm thankful for the time in the job and lessons learned.
Last Day of My 30's
Not happy about this; my life is nothing I EVER thought it would be. You know when you miss a part of a movie or don't quite understand what happened, you press "rewind" and can "fix" it. Well, my subconscious keeps thinking there is a back-arrow for my life. It wants to return to my 20's and FIX IT! But alas and sadly, the wrinkles and grey hair are here to stay, as well as lost opportunities and years living a life I hadn't planned.
Oh well. Onward and forward! Many tell me their 40's were their best years...
Last Bits of Freedom
Though you don't have very much time off as a teacher specialist, the trade is a flexible daily schedule. I dearly missed track breaks, but gladly traded it for other flexibilities. That freedom will be gone once my new job starts.
Additionally, I begin graduate school on Monday. For two years, I'll carry the weight of homework. It took a DECADE to stop having stress dreams about college after my BA. (...It's the last day of the quarter and I hadn't gone to class or done the projects and was going to fail the class.) I'm scared. Truly I am. Wish me luck and loads of energy (please).
Well, the flip side of these "lasts" is that "firsts" must be in store. -And that's a happy thought.
I hope you had a super birthday! With all of the exciting things you are doing, I'm sure your 40s will be amazing!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday yesterday! This was a very introspective post, and I think I would have recognized it was yours wherever I found it. You have a lovely way of writing your thoughts and ideas.
ReplyDelete